12 July 2010

Urban Decay

As a photographer, I am always looking at the world around me as a photojournalist.  I am constantly aware of my surroundings and see the beauty and uniqueness in everyday situations.  Images that tell a story or make you think how something happened. I don't know how many times I have thought "that would make an amazing shot...wish I had my camera."  Unfortunately my canon power shot point and shoot had severe limitations.  A few months ago I upgraded to a full frame Mark II.  This has now become my "work" camera freeing my Rebel up to fill the void of extra curricular camera.  It's just small enough that I have started carrying it around in my purse so I have it ready for those shots I used to miss.
The scene below is one of those pictures I wish I had gotten several times prior.  I have driven by it before on my way to my cousins, or the dentist.  It's about 40 minutes from my house but I don't make it out that way very often.  Yesterday we went to my cousins for a cook out so of course I brought my camera along for pictures.  As we were driving home, I realized the house was coming up.  My husband, whom was driving, slowed his speed to help me look for it.  Dusk was fast approaching and if you’re not looking for it, you can miss it.  It's off the beaten path so to speak.  Finally.  There it is!  Makes me gasp every time I see it. It's a chilling scene.  Someone's once loved home is now in a charred pile.  The only thing still standing and distinguishable is the fireplace.  Kind of ironic don't you think?   I have tried to research this house and have found nothing on it.  I wanted to know what happened.  Was anyone hurt or died in the fire?  Why have they left this house standing like this for almost a year?  So many questions but no answers.  The scene is very surreal and gives me shivers just looking at it.  Below are some of my captures of it.  This is an area of photography I would definitely like to pursue. It stirs something in me.  With my voracious appetite to learn everything I can about photography, I stumbled upon this link on Urban Decay.  The pictures are haunting.  If you look close, you can see the beauty that was once there.  Anyone up for a photo walk/drive of rundown and abandoned places with me?